Armed clashes broke out between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (HDK) on the morning of April 15 in Khartoum, the capital of Sudan, and in various cities. Thus, the disagreement between the army and the HDK regarding the military security reform, which envisages “the full participation of the HDK in the army,” has moved to another dimension for the last few months. 97 civilians lost their lives in the clashes, 942 people, including soldiers, were injured.
STATE TELEVISION STARTS BROADCAST AGAIN
Sudanese state television, which came under the control of the army and started broadcasting again, stated that the HDK’s headquarters in the capital and many states had been taken over by the army. It was stated in the news that HDK tried to destroy the infrastructure of the channel when it could not interfere with the broadcast on state television, and many HDK members in the capital and provinces surrendered to the army with their equipment.
“HDK WILL BE TERMINATED”
The Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs reported that the Sovereignty Council Chairman and Army Commander General Abdulfettah al-Burhan decided to terminate the Rapid Support Forces (HDK), which clashed with the army, and to declare an insurgent force against the state, and that they will act on this basis. “We want to explain to the public and the international community that the unfortunate events that started on Saturday, April 15, 2023, were caused by the HDK’s revolt against the Sudanese Armed Forces in some parts of the capital and in different cities,” the ministry said in a statement.
ATTACK ON THE ORGENERAL’S HOUSING
In the statement alleged that the HDK attacked the residence of General Abdulfettah al-Burhan, it was claimed that the attack took place on the same day as the meeting scheduled to be held between Burhan and his deputy and HDK Commander Muhammed Hamdan Dagalu, and this showed the bad intentions of HDK.
“ARMED FORCES REPEAT THE ATTACK”
“Accordingly, the Armed Forces repelled the attack as part of their duty to ensure security and stability in the country, and responded to remove the HDK from the army headquarters and institutions such as the provincial headquarters, the Presidential Palace, Khartoum International Airport and the official state television,” the statement said. evaluation was made.
“END OF CONFLICT MAY BE DELAYED”
The following statements were made: “It should be noted that all national, regional and international mediations that tried to persuade the HDK to integrate into the army failed due to the intransigence of the leaders of the HDK in accepting this issue. The Armed Forces, in the midst of the ongoing conflicts with the remnants of the defunct HDK, are working with civilians and private individuals alike. It adopts a war strategy aimed at minimizing losses between public and public property, but this may slightly delay the end of the conflict.”
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs noted that the authorities have taken the necessary measures to protect all the headquarters and staff of the accredited diplomatic missions in Khartoum.
Noting that the efforts of Arab and African countries and the international community to calm the situation in the country were appreciated, the statement said, “This issue is a domestic issue that the Sudanese will resolve among themselves, far from international intervention.” statement was included.